In the past 20 years or so, our media consumption has fragmented into a smorgasbord of options for the consumer. The options have made it harder for advertisers to immediately generate new branding.
Gone are the days of Traditional media. Gone are the days for online advertising. We are bombarded with new industry jargon every month; Terms like Interstitial, Programmatic Ads, DSP and Audience Everywhere. Not only are the online options overwhelming for the advertiser, but also consider the delivery devices for the consumers to choose from: Roku, Netflix, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecasting, YouTube, Sling, and the list goes on.
But wait, there’s more – Influencer advertising, pre-roll, post-roll, in-roll, OTT, and CTV. And now we can add a legitimate not-so-newcomer – Podcasts. And adding onto it – Vlogging.
The medium has seen explosive growth in the past 3 years and consumers are tuning in. Why should an advertiser consider podcasting and what advantages are there?
- Clutter is low. Radio run 6 spots in a break or about 12-15 minutes of commercials per hour. Podcasts typically run less than 2-3 minutes of ads per hour.
- Like radio DJ endorsements, podcasts often use host-read ads. The result is the commercials are less jarring and nearly zero tune out of the podcast.
- Podcasts are good for direct response ads. Custom URL’s can be used with or discount codes for the listeners. This helps track attribution for the advertisers and determine the best ROI’s for their pod-buy.
- Growth – 100 million Americans listen to at least one podcast a month. In 2017, 40% of Americans had listened to a podcast. Now it’s up to 55% of the US. And the older demos are growing fastest.
- Devotion – The average podcast listener tunes in 6 hours and 39 minutes each week. Podcasts listening lead to more podcast listening.
- Accessibility – 76 million Americans have Smart Speakers in their home. This gives yet one more area for podcasts to grow.
Need more proof? Brand recall goes up 4.4x more than any other form of digital advertising. On average, podcast ads increase purchase intent by 10%.
Add in another layer of production and you can get even better ROI on your commercials. Consider vlogging (or video blogging). People read less than ever and adding in a visual portion to the podcast medium affords the opportunity for a better consumer listening experience by adding in graphs, video recaps and a face-to-face experience for the listener.
We haven’t begun to peak in podcast consumption. But where do you go to advertise on it? Do you buy locally, regionally, or nationally? How do you know how many listeners are hearing your ads? How do you vet the podcast content to make sure it fits your corporations mission statement? The Miller Agency can help!
Most of the major streaming services are now offering podcast placement, including Spotify, Google, iHeart, Stitcher, Cumulus, Katz, PodcastOne, Apple, TuneIn and Pandora. So, whom do you choose?
We can help. Call, click here, or email The Miller Agency and we can set up a meeting to explore this interesting and cost-efficient advertising opportunity.
VP Account Service
Miller Ad Agency